Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hospital Visit #2

Why I should think that anything medical in my life should come easy is beyond me... I mean, nothing ever has been easy in this department. Pregnancy seems to be going this way lately too.  I mean, really? Two hospital visits in less than a month! You've gotta be kidding me!

I really hadn't felt good all week... Could feel myself contracting, but not too bad and not that often, so I just blew it off.  Then as the week progressed, I started feeling sicker and sicker... I was catching a cold (of course), so I was trying to take it as easy as I could with Christmas parties coming up on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evening!  I took extra naps, even left work early to try to rest before the parties.  I just couldn't get comfortable.  I kept waking Damon up because I was tossing and turning so much at night... I know that this is to be somewhat expected being 7 months pregnant, but I mean, I wasn't sleeping more than about 45 minutes at a time! Which was just adding to my stress.  So, Thursday night, I left Damon's company Christmas party early because I didn't feel good and definitely wasn't in the mood to smell any food.  I went home and got in bed by myself.  Damon came home really late (about 1:00am) and I woke up... and tried and tried to go back to sleep, but just couldn't.  Finally, I went downstairs (so Damon could get some rest) and fell asleep...still waking up every hour or so.

Of course the next morning, it was Friday, so all the clinics here are closed... So I called the health line to talk to the OBGYN on call.  He said that he thought I should come in to labor and delivery and get checked out, even though he thought everything was fine.  So my sweet mom came with me and we got all checked in and hooked up to the monitors.  The nurse said "we will watch you for about 45 minutes to an hour and then hopefully send you home.  Well, she came back in about a half hour later and said, "well, you're not going anywhere... you are contracting every 3-6 minutes and we have to get these stopped".  ARGH! So they gave me three rounds of shots and a pill that are supposed to stop labor.  After the first shot, I started to get really sick to my stomach so I asked for some nausea medication.  She gave me Zofran.  And we found out that I am DEFINITELY allergic to it!  Instead of making me feel better, I definitely felt worse.  I started to get the worst heart burn (de ja vu from my hospital stay in MN) and then started to throw up. Of course it didn't help that the shots they gave me make your heart race!  I felt out of control... and my contractions then started to come every 2 minutes... Not the effect they were looking for!  Finally, I was able to lay down and just sleep.  Probably the best hour of sleep I had had all week!!  After a couple hours of observing me, the nurse came back in and said that my contractions had stopped and that I could go home when I was ready!  Well, I was ready to get home and sleep!  So we left about 4 o'clock with instructions to rest and lay down most of the weekend... just take it easy! (That didn't quite go with the plans we had... mind you, we still hadn't done any Christmas shopping and we were scheduled to go to my sister's graduation and take family pictures!) 

We ended up going to the graduation.  I am still contracting some, but not nearly as much as I was, so that is good!  And my sweet hubby is doing all the Christmas shopping!  I just gave him a list and off he went in the crowds!  Isn't he the sweetest?

I am feeling better, but now I think I have had a reaction to the medication they gave me... I have little ulcers all over the back of my throat... Probably from throwing up medicine.  And my nose is really stuffed... so I could just have strep or something... WHO KNOWS?!  I will make an appointment for tomorrow to get checked out because I am just ready to feel really good again!!!  Please pray for me and my spirits... I am just pretty down right now.  I love being pregnant and feeling my little girl move around, but I really just want some of my energy back... at least enough that I can enjoy all the fun that comes with the holidays, Christmas, my favorite time of the year!!

Here is a picture of me for Damon's Christmas party...at 31 weeks! :)  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. There's another anti-nausea drug called Phenergan (generic is Promethazine) that you can take instead of Zofran. It makes you a little sleepy, but it's always worked better for e than Zofran. Unfortunately, they can't give it in IV form anymore, but they can give you a shot into your muscle or give you a pill. I never mind the drowsiness with it, as I'm always relieved to sleep after being so sick. Anyway, just something you might want to ask for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have had it before and definitely will be requesting it again! Actually, they gave it to me through an IV while I was in MN after the Zofran wasn't working... and it definitely helped! :)

    ReplyDelete