Friday, February 25, 2011

She's Here!! (And already over a week old!)

Introducing Miss
Collins Reese Woodward
February 15, 2011
8lbs 4ozs
5:20am

 

Last picture of mom with a belly!! :) (Just about to induce!)


About ready to start pushing... I couldn't believe it at this point!!



5:20am and here she is!! :)


The best and proudest daddy and husband!! :)



Headed home... 
Sorry about the swollen face, but it is currently one of the only pictures of the 3 of us...
we will have to fix that!! :)


Here is the story...

I seriously can't believe that it has taken me this long to update my blog and let you all know that Collins Reese Woodward has made her arrival!! :)  She arrived on February 15 and weighed 8lbs 4ozs and was 20 inches long!  She didn't exactly arrive the way that we had planned on, but I can tell you that I felt peace on where God was leading me every step of the way!!!

I went in on Monday, Feb. 14th for my weekly check-ups.  I was put on the monitors and Collins was looking great! When he checked me, I was just about 1.5cm.  However, he said that I had protein in my urine, my blood pressure was a little elevated, and then asked my about my blood sugars.  When I told him they had been dropping low, he said that was a sign that my placenta was not working as well as it was-- because I was right around the corner from my due date.  So I said, "what's the plan from here?".  He said, "well, if you are okay with today, I would like to go ahead and induce you because your numbers are only going to get worse!"... I said, "GREAT!  Can I go get something to eat or do I need to go straight to the hospital?"  He told me to go get something to eat, get my stuff, and my hubby and make my way back.  So, we did just that!

We got to L & D at about 2:30pm.  However, we had to wait for the doc to come in and let us know how and when to proceed.  He came in at about 5:00pm and said that he wanted to wait to induce me until 8:00pm so that he was here and it was just him and I!  I appreciated that, but would have liked to have known that ahead of time instead of sitting around for 6 hours!! Oh well!  So, the doc came in at 8:00pm and started pitocin.  At this point, I was only 2cm dilated.  At 10:00pm, he came back in to break my water.  At about 1:30am, I was having a lot of contractions (about every 45 seconds), but I got to a place where I couldn't breathe!  And thinking that I was still 2cm, I thought there was no way that I could do this for another 7 hours which is what they told me to expect.... I really wanted to do it naturally, but I felt really felt God whispering to me to get an epidural-- I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is really true!!!!!  So, I did... thinking that I would be able to get some sleep.  They got the epidural in at about 2:00am.  I finally relaxed.  At about 2:20am or so, a nurse came in and I told her that I was still cramping some and feeling some pressure and asked her if that is normal and if my epidural just hadn't fully kicked in yet.  She said, that was probably the case, but went ahead and checked me... she said... "Oh my... you were just a 2 the last time they checked you?!  You are feeling pressure because you are about ready to push... you are a 9.5!"  Then she told me she was going to have to go get my nurse because she was helping with another delivery thinking that I was still a ways away!!  So at about 3:20am we started to push... I pushed for about an hour.... But she hadn't moved at all!!  So the doc came in and took a look and said that my bone was turned just enough that she couldn't get her head through and said that he recommended we have a c-section.  I said, "ok!"... Damon couldn't believe that I was just like ok... And this is where I was telling you I felt like God was guiding me the whole day... I just had an overwhelming sense that I was going to have a c-section from the beginning (though I didn't tell anyone that)... and I think that God whispered to me to get the epidural because I think I would have freaked out if I had been told all at once, after pushing for a hour, that I was going to have to get an epidural and have a c-section and not do it naturally!!  So, they got me all prepped and Collins was born into this world at 5:20am!  I was EXHAUSTED, but was so glad that she was here!

That whole day was kind of a blur-- I know that LOTS of people came to visit, but I honestly don't remember a whole lot as it was hard to keep my eyes open!!! Wednesday was much better, with fewer visitors and extra time to rest!  Thursday, we headed home!!!

The recovery has definitely been hard... I am still pretty sore and moving slow, but I am trying to stay on my feet and walk as much as possible to continue the healing process.  My staples were removed on Monday-- which definitely helped!

As I sit this morning with this little girl in my arms, I am just in awe of who God has already created her to be.  I am in awe of the support our family has felt.  And personally, I am in awe of the husband that God has so graciously given me to join me in this journey.  I am so blessed with the support that he offers EVERY day!  He gets up with me at 3:00am for feedings and just looks at her and I... and wants to keep the bassinet on his side of the room so that he can get her up every morning (and for every feeding)!  Seriously, I don't know how girls do this by themselves!!  Damon was there the ENTIRE time-- with laughs when they were needed, a hand to hold, and even some tears when those were required... Can I just brag a minute and say that I am pretty sure I have the BEST husband EVER!!!

So far, being a mom has been the best thing that has ever happened to me (next to marrying the most supportive man EVER!!)!! An INCREDIBLE experience... and I definitely see God's fingerprints all over her and see Christ's love for us in a totally new light... Man, I didn't think my heart could ever be this full.  I will continue to update with pictures and such as the weeks progress!!  Thanks for all the prayers and support that were offered on our behalf... We are sure spoiled to have friends like you guys!!  Love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, I've been anxious to hear your story, so thanks for posting it! You have an incredible husband and family, as you already know!! You are so right, we are not meant to be single parents--aren't you glad??? Enjoy your precious Collins and I can't wait to meet her someday!! I know that your parents and siblings are relishing their time with this sweet baby girl!! She is truly a blessing from God!!

    So sorry it says "Mom" at the top. I usually only comment on my girls blogs, so that's why it says that!! Blessings to you and Damon!! Connie Nervig

    ReplyDelete