Monday, November 5, 2012

Expecting Blessings

In one of my previous posts, I wrote about expecting suffering (click here to read about it).  As I said in that post, we, as believers, should not be surprised by suffering.  In fact, we should expect it.  Christ Jesus suffered much in this world.  In contrast, we should also expect God's greatest blessings.  And that is just what the Bible tells us to do.  Hebrews 11:6 says "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."  So you see, as we earnestly seek Him, He rewards us. And James 1:17 says "Every good and perfect gift comes from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." I love that verse.  Everything good that we experience in life comes from a good God who DOES NOT CHANGE.  Doesn't that bring such comfort?!  While most people we know change day in and day out, we have a God who is consistent and doesn't waiver in turning our hearts towards Him.

Damon and I have been in a time of suffering.  And it has been the hardest place we have ever been in.  We have had to continually turn towards Christ and look to His face to find peace and comfort.  While walking through this time, we have also been expectantly waiting a time of blessing.  But as Hebrews says, blessings only come as we earnestly seek Him.  So that is exactly what Damon and I have been doing.  There are several things that we have been praying specifically for:
  • That we honor Christ with Grayson's life
  • That each of you learn more about who our God is by hearing this story that God is writing for the Woodward family.
  • That God would redeem the month of May for us.
  • That we would TRUST Christ with His plans- no matter what that looked like.
  • That we would remember that our God is sovereign.
  • The God would bless us with more babies... and quickly.
  • That we would not be fearful.
  • We would continue to be parents to Collins who let her see who Jesus is.
We know that Christ was capable of all these things, so we entered a time of expecting blessings... and waiting.  And on September 4, we got an answer!  This is the card that I gave Damon that day.


We found out we are expecting Baby Woodward #3!  We knew we wanted it to happen quickly, but we had NO idea that God would bless us that quickly.  Our first appointment was September 25... 4 months to the day of losing Grayson.  As you can imagine, we were pretty nervous for this appointment.  We earnestly prayed that we would hear a heartbeat and I even made them assume my due date was a week later so that we would be safe.  We went in and heard the best little heartbeat! :)  Much to my surprise, I was just 6 weeks along (I thought I was more like 9).  And they gave us a due date of May 18, 2013.... Just one week before Grayson's glory day!  Our prayers had been answered... We asked God to redeem May for us and in our minds, this was redemption at it's finest!


So as of Saturday, we are 12 weeks pregnant.  How am I feeling?  Nauseous most days... which I am thankful for!  I didn't feel sick with Grayson at all so I think God knew that I needed to feel a little sick to have some peace.  And EXHAUSTED!  Hopefully, now that I have finished the first trimester, I will start to feel some relief!  Emotionally, I am nervous.  I am overwhelmed.  I am scared.  I really haven't gotten too excited... I know that sounds crazy, but I think that I am just protecting my heart.  In love.  I am already so in love with this baby.  This baby does not in ANY WAY replace Grayson and what we lost, but this baby is a blessing and we are so thankful for this life.  As we go through the next 6 months, here is what we are specifically asking for prayer for:
  1. That God would allow us to bring this baby home in May.
  2. Health- My health and the baby's health.
  3. Our hearts.  That God would calm our fears each day- especially as we approach week 20.
  4. Trust- that we would trust God with this baby's life, just like we have with both Collins and Grayson.
  5. Joy- that we would really be able to let go of the fears and experience pure joy!
Here is a picture from when we went and shared the news with our little boy.  We know that he will be the best big brother to this new baby... I mean, he is an angel watching over each of us and what more could you ask for in a big brother?! Or in Collins' case, a little brother! :)


I can't end this post without saying thank you to all of you.  I know that so many of you have been praying for us each and every day as we have walked this path.  And those prayers mean the world to us... And we have felt them.  We see the face of Christ as we see how you all, our Christian family, have rallied around us.  We wouldn't be here without you.  So, thank you, thank you, thank you.  You will never know the love we have felt as you guys have grieved with us and now rejoice with us.  We love you all!

"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need you will abound in every good work."
2 Corinthians 9:8

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What an amazing story, and I love your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God and his never-ending ability to redeem even the darkest parts of our life. You guys are a testimony to the peace that only Christ can give. We're so excited for all of you and celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! i am so excited for you!! children are such blessings from god. may he keep you guys close
    sheila newman





    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new blessing! It sounds like you and Damon are truly using yourselves as vessels for the Father and are ready to be filled and given anything He pours into you and your lives. I am so happy that He's blessing you again because of your strength and gifts as parents. I'll be praying for peace and joy and trust in the Lord over the coming months and that you can give yourselves over to Him completely and enjoy this time you have with another of God's gifts. Your prayers reminded me of a quote that I love, and I always look to it when I need courage or have fears:

    "The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." -Robert G. Ingersoll

    ReplyDelete